Don’t become a statistic: Simple ways to stay safe
In Monday’s local paper, Stephen Herzog reported on Springfield’s Top 10 intersections for crashes.
Of course, the busier intersections have more crashes purely because of the greater number of vehicles travelling through them every day. However, every one of those crashes were avoidable.
Here’s a few very simple ways to keep you and your loved ones from becoming part of those statistics:
- Pay attention to your driving ! Sounds too simple, right ? It is ! But, too many drivers simply pay more attention to things other than driving. Cell phones are the worst distraction, but the radio, eating, or talking/arguing with others in the car, and even daydreaming, are very common ways people simply stop thinking about their driving, and precious seconds are lost leaving no time to avoid a crash.
- Slow down ! Also very simple. We all try to cram as much as we can in a single day, but driving faster, trying to beat a yellow light, or tailgating, will not help you. These bad driving habits will eventually catch up to you, when you can least afford it, and cause a crash. You can drive all the way across town at or below the speed limit, arrive calm and relaxed, and it won’t take you any more than an extra 5 minutes. Try it the next time you make a trip. You see the light up ahead turn yellow? Coast. Just relax. The city, county and state have all worked hard to time the lights according to the speed limit and average traffic count. Get into that rhythm and you’ll flow smoothly down the road with no problem !!
- Finally: Be polite ! Share the road. You don’t own the space in front of you. See someone who wants to change lanes in front of you ? Give them room, let them in. Leaving plenty of extra room in front of you not only allows others to change lanes to make left and right turns, it gives you a greater cushion of safety to react in time to avoid a crash.
Try following these 3 very basic tips next time, and every time you drive. You’ll be surprised how much more relaxing it is even in the heaviest of traffic. And, your very busy day won’t be turned upside down by a crash. And, you, your family, nor your fellow driver, won’t be hurt or killed in a crash. And, that’s the most important point of all. Take your time, it might “cost” a few more minutes, but save a life, be aware, and focus on what you are doing: Driving. Leave the other distractions for later. Thanks.
Top 10 Intersections for Auto Accidents in Springfield Missouri
- Kansas Expressway and Grand Street
- Battlefield Road and Campbell Avenue
- Glenstone Avenue and Primrose Street
- Battlefield Road and Glenstone Avenue
- Kansas Expressway and Sunshine Street
- Battlefield Road and National Avenue
- Glenstone Avenue and Sunshine Street
- Kansas Expressway and Walnut Lawn Street
- Battlefield Road and Kansas Expressway
- Kansas Expressway and Norton Road